Friday, July 20, 2007

Rotini with Shrimp and Spanish Chorizo


It's Friday night. Time for one of my "throw together what's available" pasta dishes. My basil needed a "trim", I had some Spanish chorizo, shrimp, and sundried tomato pesto. There was a box of rotini pasta in the pantry. Yup, all I needed for a tasty pasta dish.


Rotini with Shrimp and Spanish Chorizo

450 g box rotini (or whatever pasta your heart desires)
300 g peeled shrimp
1 Spanish Chorizo
1/2 cup water
2 tsp. garlic
1 bunch italian parsley, chopped
12-15 whole basil leaves
3 heaping tbsp. sundried tomato pesto
1/4 cup grated sharp cheese (like pecorino or manchego or parmegiano)


1. Cook pasta according to package directions. By the time the pasta is done, the sauce will be ready too.

2. For the sauce, chop or slice the chorizo into small pieces. Put in a large pan with about 1/2 cup water.

3. Simmer until chorizo renders its fat and the water evaporates.

4. When the chorizo has rendered its oil and is gently frying, add garlic.

5. Saute for a few minutes then add the shrimp.

6. Cook just until shrimp is opaque then add herbs.

7. Turn off stove. Mix in drained pasta and pesto.

8. Add cheese and mix everything together.

9. Done!


On the side, we had marinated goat cheese on slices of pane di casa from Cob's bread and a glass of South African Pinot Grigio. Simple, quick and satisfying...

I think this will be another submission to presto pasta nights.

1 comment:

Ruth Daniels said...

You read my mind! How did you know my favorite combo? I always have shrimp in my freezer and smoked chorizo in my fridge. Plus I'm in heaven when I actually can find some fresh chorizo.

Thanks so much for sharing this with Presto Pasta Nights. Check back for the 21st roundup. You're included.