So I used the broiler and the ribs still turned out very well. We just had to contend with the smoke detector. Hehe!
KOREAN BBQ BEEF RIBS
3 lbs beef ribs (Korean style cut)
1 cup light soy sauce
1/2 cup sugar (dark brown, preferably)
2 tbsp. vinegar
5 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. grated ginger
1/2 tsp. chili in oil (optional)
1 tsp. sesame oil
1. Marinate ribs for a few hours.
2. Grill or broil until charred in a few spots
3. Serve with rice, lettuce leaves and kimchi. The lettuce is used to wrap a small portion of rice topped with some beef, like so...
Now for the VIETNAMESE SPRING ROLLS
For 6 rolls, you will need:
- 6 rice paper wrappers
- 9 pcs. shrimp, boiled/steamed, shelled then cut in half (butterfly style)
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- a handful of rice vermicelli, soaked in boiling water until soft
- 18 very thin cucumber slices
- 18 thai basil leaves
- Soak the rice paper wrapper in a bowl of water for several seconds until slightly soft.
- Wrap all the ingredients.
- Serve with dipping sauce.
For the dipping sauce, mix:
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 tbsp. water
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. sweet chili sauce
- 3 thai basil leaves, sliced thinly
- 3 slices cucumber, sliced into thin strips