One of the bounties of summer is having fresh sweet corn for the ridiculously low price of $1.99/dozen. So we had 6 as corn-on-the-cob with pats of melted butter, and the rest I made into this corn soup.
Bacon and Corn Chowder
corn kernels, removed from 6 ears
200 g bacon, chopped into small pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
a pinch of smoked paprika
6 cups chicken broth
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
salt and pepper
1/2 cup milk or cream
chives for garnish
1. In a heavy pot, render the bacon fat until bacon is crisp.
2. Remove bacon and most of fat, leaving about 2 tsp.
3. In the same pot, saute onions until soft.
4. Add corn and potatoes and paprika.
5. Pour in chicken broth.
6. Simmer until potatoes are soft.
7. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Turn off heat and add milk or cream.
9. Use immersion blender to partly puree the soup. I like to leave in some larger pieces of corn and potatoes.
10. Serve garnished with bacon pieces and chives.