Friday, September 21, 2007

Adobo sa Gata (Adobo in Coconut Milk)



Adobo is probably the quintessential Filipino dish. This dish, which is a stew of a protein in vinegar, garlic, black pepper, and soy sauce, can be found in practically every Filipino household. There are endless variations...more soy sauce, no soy sauce, dry, saucy, twice fried, chicken, pork, chicken and pork, etc., etc.


I posted a favorite recipe a few weeks back, but today I decided to try something new. Adobo sa gata is a dish popular in Marinduque, an island province in the Philippines. I based my recipe on the one in "The Best of Food Magazine Cookbook" and I just tweaked it a little bit.


12 chicken pieces (I used legs)
2 tbsp. cooking oil
4 tbsp. vinegar
2 1/2 tsp. salt (to taste)
1 tsp. ground black pepper
3 thai chilis
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 slices ginger
2 bay leaves
1 medium onion, sliced
2 tsp. turmeric powder
2 cups coconut milk

1. In a pan, heat oil and brown chicken pieces well.
2. Lower heat and add salt, pepper, onion, garlic, ginger, turmeric, bay leaves and vinegar.
3. Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes until almost all of vinegar has evaporated, flipping chicken pieces once.
4. Add coconut milk and simmer for about 20 minutes.
5. Best served with white rice (like many other things).

This recipe was a hit with the boys! Definitely a "make again" dish!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The first time I learned about "adobo sa gata" was in Authentic Recipes From The Philippines by Reynaldo G. Alejandro. I was in doubt, thinking it's the chef's creation. But thanks to your post, now I know it's one of those Filipino authentic dishes I don't know about. Funny noh?

Will cook this next week!

ctl said...

This is my first attempt at this dish too. Who knew? Let me know how it goes. Great blog, BTW!

Unknown said...

Ey CTL, success! Pero, medyo modified and procedure ko. Inadobo ko muna sila. I added a little soy sauce, though. Then I fried them after. After which, simmered them in coconut milk. Mas matrabaho pero bumenta naman! Nag-uwi pa yung kapitbahay namin at binaon sa opis the next day! HAHA!