After a two-week trip back home, our friends S&A came over for breakfast today to catch up and bring pasalubong. We listened to their adventures over coffee, Montreal bagels, cream cheese, smoked salmon, baked oatmeal, fruits and baked chorizo and eggs.
Baked Chorizo and Eggs
4 spanish chorizos, sliced diagonally into 1/4 inch pieces
1 medium onion, cut into wedges
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 tbsp. olive oil
3 tbsp. grated sharp cheese (I used parmegiano since that's what I had, but I think Manchego would work better)
freshly ground black pepper
1. In a skillet, heat olive oil and saute chorizo until it renders some fat.
2. Add garlic and onions and saute for a few minutes.
3. Add bell peppers and cook for a minute more.
4. Divide mixture and place in oven-proof dishes.
5. Crack an egg into each container and top with cheese and a sprinkling of freshly ground black pepper.
6. Bake in a 4o0 oven for 10 minutes.
Watch the eggs as you're baking them because they can become overdone quite quickly (mine were a bit too done, oops!). Take the dishes out of the oven as soon as the eggs begin to set because the residual heat will cook them through.
I'm thinking this dish would be so much prettier if I used the traditional Spanish cazuelas. But since I didn't have any on hand, I used glass ramekins instead.
I quite liked this dish! As I was telling S&A, anything with chorizo (or bacon for that matter) is bound to be good. Hehe! Thanks for the stuff, S&A!