Saturday, September 8, 2007

Cheesecake with Balsamic Strawberries


I baked three cheesecakes a few days ago, 2 to bring to work as a good-bye treat for my wonderful co-workers, and 1 I kept at home for the boys. One of my co-workers has gluten sensitivity and so for her, I made one of cheesecakes with a walnut crust. The walnut crust was surprisingly good. I was a bit worried that it would crumble when I sliced the cheesecake, but it held up very well. I just tossed 2 cups of walnuts in a food processor and mixed it with 1/4 cup of dark brown sugar. I baked it like a graham cracker crust, 10 minutes at 300.

For the 2 cheesecakes I brought to work, I made a blueberry-lemon-sage topping and a dulce de leche topping. To make the dulce de leche, I pressure cooked a can of condensed milk for 15 minutes. Make sure the can is fully submerged when you do this. And do not, I repeat, DO NOT open the can until it is completely, and again I repeat, COMPLETELY cool.

The last cheesecake, I served to my boys with a balsamic strawberry topping. Hull and slice a container of strawberries, place in a pot with 2 tbsp. sugar and 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar. Heat through and add a slurry of 1 tsp. cornstarch in 1 tbsp. water. Simmer until it has thickened a bit.

The strawberry topping and dulce de leche were good, but I must say that the blueberry topping is still my favorite. :-)

Cheesecake recipe here...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What is the dulce de leche recipe? I need a cheesecake topping recipe for tonight. Did you just use plain dulce de leche as a spread? Or did you warm it up and drizzle?