Sunday, May 24, 2015

Caesar salad



So simple yet so good.  I like Caesar salad as much as everyone does but when I tried this recipe inspired by April Bloomfield, no other Caesar salad dressing now comes close.  I love the balance of the fat from the eggs, acid from the vinegar and mustard, and umami from the anchovies and parmesan.  My favourite way to make this is in a major jar, with a quick blitz from a hand-held mixer.  You could make this in a blender or a food processor too.  Just more clean up that way.

I like to top this salad with parmesan croutons, bacon bits, and marinated white anchovies.  Typing this is making my mouth water...

The recipe:

7-8 anchovy fillets
1/4 cup white wine or red wine vinegar
3 tbsp dijon or whole grain mustard
1-2 garlic cloves
1 large egg
1/3 cup grated parmesan
1 cup neutral oil like sunflower, grapeseed (or canola, which I actually don't like using...but that's another post)
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

To make:
Combine the first 5 ingredients and pulse until smooth.  Gradually add oil in a slow, steady stream while your machine is on.  When everything has emulsified and come together, add the cheese.  Pulse again just until blended.  Season with pepper (and salt if needed, although this if often unnecessary).  Pulse again for a few seconds.  Done!

No comments: