Sunday, January 27, 2013
Meyer Lemon Cupcakes with Brown Butter Cream Cheese Frosting
Makes about 18 cupcakes
1 cup neutral oil (I used sunflower)
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup fresh meyer lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated meyer lemon zest
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup sour cream
1. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
2. With an electric mixer, mix sugar and eggs over medium-high speed until light in color.
3. Add oil, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla. Mix until well blended.
4. Add half of flour mixture then half of sour cream. Mix.
5. Add rest of flour and rest of sour cream. Mix just until batter is uniformly mixed.
6. Bake in lined muffin tins in a 325 over for about 25 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
7. Cool and prepare frosting.
1 stick unsalted butter
1 bar cream cheese
1 tsp. meyer lemon zest
2 1/2 cups sugar
1. Heat butter in a small saucepan until melted.
2. Once butter starts to bubble, swirl butter around until you get brown butter bits at the bottom of the pan. These are the milk solids in the butter. Be careful not to burn the butter!
3. Cool the butter for a few minutes then place in the bowl of an electric mixer.
4. Add in the cream cheese and mix on medium-high until well incorporated.
5. Add lemon zest and sugar and beat some more until frosting is a spreadable, light, fluffy consistency.
6. Pipe or spread on top of the cooled cupcakes.