Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Cheese Pimiento



Cheese + mayo + pimiento (roasted red peppers) + a secret ingredient = one of my favorite spreads in the world! Nothing brings back memories of afternoon meriendas like cheese pimiento sandwiches. I think this spread is best on simple white bread (none of this 7-grain, flax seed stuff) or Fita crackers (which I guess is the Filipino version of Ritz crackers).

To make this spread, I used one small block of Cracker Barrel extra old cheese, one jar of roasted red peppers (which contained about 8-9 whole peppers), Hellmans low fat mayo, and the secret ingredient....don't gasp....condensed milk(!!!)....yes, yes, it's unusual to say the least, but trust me on this.

This recipe couldn't be simpler:
1. Grate the cheese into a large bowl.
2. Mince the pimiento and drain very, very well. You may need to push the pimiento against your colander to get out as much liquid as possible. Add this to the cheese. The chopped pimiento, not the liquid, ok?
3. Add 6 heaping tablespoons of mayo.
4. Add 2-3 heaping teaspoons of condensed milk.
5. Mix well.

The intermingling of the saltiness of the cheese, the tangy creaminess of the mayo, the kick of the pimiento and the hint of sweetness from the condensed milk is truly addicting.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there!
I just wanted to add that for folks like me who don't like to open cans of condensed milk for the two tablespoons or so, let alone keep canned milk on hand, (gasp!) you might consider adding just powdered milk, bit of water, and some glucose, if you're a baking ingredient hoarder like me. Also, for those who don't like mayo, mixing in a teaspoon of butter or neutral vegetable oil instead, works, too, for this spread.

-corinne

chin said...

condensed milk + mayo + tuna flakes!! thats how EJ liked his tuna when he was here... i remember making tuna for him before (na ganun yung recipe) and i think he finished an entire "column" of fita. yum!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi ,Im also a doctor by profession who loves to cook,try out new recipes. Your site is impressive ,great pictures,simply worded recipes.Will try out this cheese pimiento recipe which I am kind of nostalgic for right now.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I was craving for cheese pimiento and this is the recipe I have been looking for. My aunt used to make this and they are simply addicting. Went through your blogsite and I must say everything just resonated within me. I am also a physician by profession, who tries to feed three boys - 2 sons and a husband! Also used to go to Orchid House by my medical school - so I have a good idea where you graduated from, kabayan! Keep cooking and the recipes coming!