I'm not happy with the fact there BonChon Chicken does not have a presence in Toronto. I am quite displeased, in fact. So what does one do when one cannot buy Korean chicken wings? One googles a recipe and tweaks it to one's own taste....
48 Chicken Wing Pieces (cut off excess thick skin/fat)
4 Tablespoon of rice vinegar
1 Tablespoon of salt
½ Teaspoon of black pepper
4 Garlic Cloves (whole)
1 Small onion (whole)
Some rice flour (about a cup) for dredging wings
Peanut oil for frying
2 Tablespoons of Soy Sauce
4 Tablespoons of Rice Vinegar
3 Tablespoons of Koh Chu Jang (hot red pepper paste)
4 Garlic Cloves, grated
3 Tablespoons of Thai sweet chili sauce or honey
2 Tablespoon of dark brown sugar
1) Soak wings in cold water for about 5 minutes, drain and repeat 2 times.
2) In the meantime, bring a pot of water to boil and add in all the “A” ingredients. Boil for 5 minutes.
3) Add the chicken wings to the pot and boil until the meat is cooked (do not over cook).
4) Drain the wings in a colander.
5) Lightly dredge wings in with rice flour.
6) Heat up the oil for frying. Fry wings until lightly golden brown and crisp.
7) Meanwhile, in a sauce pan, add all the “C” ingredients. Simmer until sauce thickens (about 5-10 minutes). Should not be too thick, about the consistency of maple syrup.
8) Toss wings in sauce. Add a bit at a time. Don’t put too much sauce or the wings will become soggy.